Mental Health Support Worker
EMA Patient Transport is committed to a positive philosophy. EMA Patient Transport delivers a fast, safe and supportive care for patients with mental health issues who require secure transport. The service provides a unique, innovative patient focused service that delivers a professional approach and demands high standard of care to patients.
Role Title: Support Worker
Pay: £14 per hour
Responsible to: Registered Manager and HR & Compliance Manager
The post-holder will work under the supervision of a senior member of the team or manager, participating in the development and maintenance of high quality, personalised care. In collaboration with the team and patients you will be actively involved in delivering, monitoring and evaluating care and managing risk.
1. Demonstrate an understanding of and support the principles of advocacy.
2. Promote and safeguard the wellbeing of each patient by demonstrating a responsive caring attitude and being approachable at all times.
3. Treat patients as individuals with dignity and respect. Be aware of the values of the Patients with regards to culture, religion and beliefs at all times.
4. To follow instructions from qualified nurses and the management team.
5. Record all relevant information and any other form of documentation as required.
6. Communicate effectively with the Registered Manager, HR & Compliance Manager and peers, attend professional meetings and participate in identified training.
7. Ensure EMA Patient Transport Policies and Procedures are adhered to at all times and best practice is demonstrated in line with professional guidance.
8. Participate in general and enhanced patient observations as required
9. Take an active role in health and safety by reporting all environmental risks identified.
10. Participate in escorting patients
11. Participate in driving the EMA Vehicle (where the criteria is met)
12. Maintain strict confidentiality of patient information at all times, including and EMA company information.
13. As a representative of the company demonstrate a professional and courteous manner at all times
1. Be aware of the EMA Patient Transport security procedures and protocols and work within the parameters of same at all times
2. Demonstrate an understanding of the need to maintain security requirements and the management of risk alongside therapeutic interaction
3. Participate in risk assessments and have a clear awareness of the risks each patient may present with at all times
4. Participate in searching of the environment and patient, and ensuring contraband items are stored securely, and cleaning of the vehicles maintained
5. Effectively use company communication equipment as required
6. Participate in de-escalating and effectively dealing with violence and aggression
1. Complete specialist PMVA training course and break away.
2. Attend all mandatory training on an annual basis including security and risk specific training
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. Carrying out assigned tasks which have been identified by staff in relation to patient’s needs.
2. To work with patients with potentially challenging behaviour
3. Report to the designated trained member of staff and recording any observed changes in patients mental. Physical, and behavioural state.
4. Being an active member of the team in assisting with activities for the patients and helping to create a relaxing atmosphere.
5. Carrying out general housekeeping duties, e.g. helping to keep the building tidy, carrying out cleaning schedules and any tasks which help with the smooth running of the ambulance and assist in the delivery of the care to the patients.
6. Being aware of Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) and understanding its implications and practical use, and having a sound knowledge of unit policies in relation to fire procedures, health and wellbeing, infection control, safe food handling, lone worker working.
7. Escorting and supporting patients on journeys, as directed by the nurse in charge.
8. Making accurate records of patient observations.
9. Reporting any compliments and complaints by patient/relative to senior management team
10. Maintaining high standards of record/case note recording, including computerised records as required.
11. Complying and ensuring adherence to risk management and risk assessment policy and guidelines.
12. Complying with the Mental Health Act (1983) regulations/procedures
13. To ensure that areas remain on the ambulance remain clean and tidy at all times.
14. Any other duties as required by the Registered Manager, HR & Compliance Manager or Person in charge.
15. To contribute to and promote the development of the therapeutic culture that is person centred
16. To act in a manner which respects the patient’s customs, individuality, values, sexuality, ad spiritual beliefs, actively supporting the patients to fulfil these.
17. To help organise and participate in therapeutic activities for patients both on an individual and group basis on and off the ambulance as indicated
18. To promote patient choice and empowerment where appropriate.
19. To be familiar with the use and cleaning of the of the equipment
20. Where required to carry out audits as directed.
21. To act as co-worker for patients under the direction of the person in charge
22. Participate, train and update in PMVA in line with the EMA procedure
23. To maintain an effective reporting system by observing and reporting verbally and writing on patient’s presentation
24. To use the EMA records to record information
25. To liaise and maintain effective, professional, relationships with patients, colleagues and others at all times.
26. Under the direction of qualified nursing staff, to effectively communicate with patients and professionals
27. To adhere to Information Governance standards
28. To regularly participate in supervision
29. To communicate with all people in the course of their duties in a respectful and courteous manner
30. To actively participate in the annual appraisal process
31. To carry out all training as directed by Senior management (Registered Manager and HR & Compliance Manager)
32. To receive regular supervision.
Terms and Conditions of Service
1. EMA has a range of clinical, operational, financial, health & safety, risk management, human resources, equality & diversity and other policies and procedures. The post holder is expected to be aware and to observe these at all times. Copies of all of our policies are kept in the office or can be found on the EMA shared drive or from the senior management team.
2. Employment in this post is subject to Disclosure and Barring Service checks. The post holder may be required to undertake a DBS check at any time during their employment.
3. Staff are not permitted to smoke either inside EMA offices or on the vehicles.
4. Staff are expected to undertake all mandatory training and refresher training appropriate to their role which may include, Physical Intervention, Breakaway and Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation.
5. EMA is committed to providing the welfare of children and vulnerable adults. Staff are expected to be aware of, and comply with their roles and responsibilities in relation to safeguarding vulnerable groups.
6. Staff are expected to observe the highest standards of care and conduct and to engage constructively with managers, colleagues, patients/carers and others in the course of their duties.